Our initiative has begun under the banner of “The Community Forest” – Sustainable Plantation Initiative led by the Community to restore the Mangrove forestry of Sundarban. We have planted over 18,686 mangrove saplings and more than 2 Lakhs seeds are already being implanted in the Community Nursery. We collected near about 6 lakhs mangrove seeds so far. Our 42 supervisors and trainers are daily monitoring the process. Our target is to implant 4 lakhs mangroves in a year. 2,850 families are engaged in the project.
For more than 4 years Kolkata Society for Cultural Heritage has been operating social development pertaining to reduce the human & wild interactions, self-reliance of women self-help groups in forest fringe villages at Sundarban.
- Income generation for the poor.
- Heritage and culture preservation of Sundarban.
- We are also promoting the age old culture related to Mangroves.
- Mangroves will help to maintain water quality.
- Mangroves help to defend the coastal lives of Sundarban.
- The project will help to develop the biodiversity of Sundarban.
The Community Forest will help to generate 20 Million rupees per year for 2,850 families.